I have been a children’s librarian for over five years. I work in a small public library in a community that has a large...
Mexican Clay Pottery Craft
Pottery making is one of the oldest traditions in Mexican culture, and is still widely practiced today. Use our easy homemade clay recipe to make and bake your own pottery crafts!
- 4 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- Approximately 1 ¾ Cups water (you will have to add drops here and there while working)
- Optional food coloring
- Paints & brush
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Add the water a little at a time while mixing (this is perfect for the kids to get their hands in there!)
- Optional - Add food coloring.
- Pinch pot instructions: Sculpt clay into a ball and push down the middle for the bottom of the pot. Sculpt the sides by pinching up and making the clay thinner.
- Coil pot instructions: Make a flat circle out of a piece of clay. Next make long coils out of pieces of clay and coil them one on top of the other around the edge of the flat circle piece.
- Bake at 200 degrees F for about 10 – 15 minutes for the pinch pot and about 20 minutes for the coil pot, or until hard. They will be slightly rubbery.
- Let cool and paint.
- If you have any clay left over you can freeze it in plastic wrap.