I have been a children’s librarian for over five years. I work in a small public library in a community that has a large...
Japanese Cherry Blossoms
The Cherry Blossom is the national flower of Japan and also signifies the season of Spring to the people of Japan. Sakura is not a legal holiday but many families arrange their schedules to take some time to visit a park or the country to enjoy the spectacular wonder of the cherry trees when they are in bloom. You can make your own Cherry Blossom tree using this craft. Happy Springtime!
- White mini marshmallows
- Red and/or pink food coloring
- Jar with a lid
- Cookie sheet
- Print-out of tree
- Drop 2-3 drops of the food coloring into the jar and then fill the jar about 1/2 - 3/4 with the marshmallows.
- Give the child the jar to shake until the marshmallows are colored pink. Pour the marshmallows onto a cookie sheet. Repeat until you have as many marshmallows as you need.
- Print out tree
- Put glue all around the branches of the tree.
- Have children glue the marshmallows onto the tree.
Tip: To prevent children from eating ALL of the marshmallows, tell them they can eat one marshmallow for every 10 (or 5, or 20) they add to their tree. Great for counting skills too!